Groups of hosting solutions
A hosting service includes storing and/or sharing given web content on a web hosting server managed by a hosting vendor. There are different classes of hosting services used for various goals, so let's have a look at them. Thus, you can decide what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to run a web page, e-mailbox accounts, or to share files with friends and partners.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by particular file storage providers, which allows you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php website files in your browser. Free file hosting packages often include advertisements beside the download links, while a timer compels you to await a particular period of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly erroneous explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would distribute the tasks at hand between independent sets of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending various website hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, stats, DNS, databases, hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is only a type of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; some companies offer a hosting service for images only. This hosting type is suitable if you would like to share an immense quantity of pics with comrades or colleagues since the service is generally free of charge. You will get a random link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a service committed to tackling your emails. Some companies offer webspace hosting solutions for sites, but do not offer an e-mail solution. If you wish to own a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to own a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can set up e-mail box accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip brings about a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video clips and a few hundred visitors, you may have difficulty with your webspace hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will permit you to own as many videos as you would like without bothering about system quotas.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to keep a web site. To some degree, it includes all of the aforesaid hosting forms since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and mail addresses, upload video clips, etc. At Asmartdomain, for example, you can explore web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that permit you to have all of the aforesaid solutions in one single place. There may be limitations based on the form of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting package may be better or worse compared to the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are designed for particular web content only.